Who will benefit from AM-Insider?
- Account managers of all levels who take personal responsibility for their own up-skilling and resourcing, and who want to reduce stress and hassle.
- Former account managers returning to the workforce after a period of time (when technology and channels have moved on), and want to fill the gaps in their knowledge.
- Agency owners, managers and team leaders who care about the professional development of their staff, and who understand the necessity to train and equip for better performance.
- Tertiary institutions offering courses in agency account management or creative advertising.
- Graphic design or advertising tertiary graduates who wish to change from design to account management, but have received no training in this area.
- Self-employed designers who are responsible for their own client management.
- Recruitment specialists who see areas of weakness in a candidate's knowledge and wish to help them increase their chances of employment.
Is there really a problem?
Account managers enter their profession from many pathways. Some start their journey already working within the agency, design and print industries. Others 'cross over' from related industries, such as PR and media. Some may join from client-side roles in marketing or HR. Others make a fresh start, having never before experienced the exciting agency life.
Professional development opportunities for account managers are rare, though an account management tertiary or industry course can sometimes be unearthed. These courses are typically either an advertising 'major' within a business degree (3+ years full-time study) or weekend workshop-style courses costing hundreds to thousands of dollars. The nature, duration and/or cost of these courses puts them out of reach for many account managers.
In the absence of formal training, account managers have to rely on the training that they may (or may not) receive from their own workplace. Some agencies are structured to give this type of support, however, a vast number are not. Therefore, many people have to cope via self-education and learning from their own mistakes. This cycle of trial-and-error and lack of education has to be addressed.
AM-Insider provides a three-fold solution to this all-too-common professional development problem - with Books, Tips & Tricks, and Resources.
'How to Wrestle an Octopus: an agency account manager's guide to pretty much everything' was published in 2018.
Acclaimed by industry experts as the most comprehensive guide for agency account managers of all levels, ‘How to Wrestle an Octopus’ is the #1 choice for anyone with client-facing responsibility in the advertising, design, PR, experiential, media, and print industries.
Sarah Ritchie, founder of AM-Insider.com shares her wealth of experience from a 25-year career in advertising and design agencies; plus insights from over 800 interviews with account managers and agency managers from 30 different countries.
Packed with case studies, quotes from industry leaders, and 300 essential topics to empower, enthuse, and educate. ‘How to Wrestle an Octopus’ covers the ‘what’, the ‘why’, AND the ‘how’ – pretty much everything you need to do your job well and become an account management superstar!
‘How to Wrestle an Octopus’ is a life-changer…an agency-changer...and an industry-changer.
Tips & Tricks
AM-Insider provides articles to help account managers fill in the gaps of their knowledge-base and up-skill. The Tips & Tricks cover the six main areas in which account managers operate:
- All About You: what an account manager does, how to sell, how to be a success, values and surviving the job.
- Client Love: what is 'client service' and how can it outwork in your everyday client-interaction?
- Ka-ching!: all you need to know about account management finances and how to keep them under control.
- Mission Control: administration and organisation to the max!
- Nuts & Bolts: the technical hows and whys of our industry processes.
- The Fun Bits: all about how to run campaigns and create stunning results for your clients.
Sir Walter Scott: “All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.”
Microsoft Word and Excel templates
Would you like to be able to:
- Keep accurate records?
- Have all information you need at your fingertips?
- Know the right questions to ask your clients?
- Create detailed and informative reports that your manager will love?
- Save time?
- Make your job a whole lot easier and reduce stress?
The AM-Insider Resource collection is here to help YOU. The Resources have been developed, agency-tested and refined. They are guaranteed to help you be the best account management professional you can be, or you'll get 100% of your money back!
Sarah Ritchie is the Founder of AM-Insider.com, a Business and Recruitment Consultant, and the author of ‘How to Wrestle an Octopus: an agency account manager’s guide to pretty much everything’.
Sarah has been immersed in the advertising and design world for over 25 years, including ten years as the Director of a successful design business. She has been a tertiary design teacher; a Business Mentor; and has had a long tenure in advertising and design account management. These days Sarah focuses on agency growth.
In 2014 Sarah created AM-Insider.com to enthuse, empower, and educate agency account managers across the creative communications industry (advertising, design, PR, experiential, media, and print) and across the globe.
Sarah lives in beautiful New Zealand with her husband, Simon. When she’s not writing, Sarah can usually be found playing her 100-year old piano, competing in a local pub quiz, or reading a historical romance.